Filed under Entertainment

Everything You Need To Know About The 2019 Met Gala

The Met Gala is an event hosted every year by Anna Wintour at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It is known as fashion’s biggest event of the year and is held annually on the first Monday in May. It is used to raise money for the museum’s costume institute and celebrate the grand opening of its new exhibit. Anna Wintour compiles an exclusive list of the most important people in fashion, film, music, and art. Each celebrity is dressed by a fashion designer chosen for them by Vogue.

There is also a theme each year, this year’s theme being “Camp: Notes on Fashion.” Camp is defined as “ostentatious, exaggerated, affected, and theatrical.” The theme is based on the the 1964 essay “Camp: Notes in Fashion” by Susan Sontag. Some famous camp icons are Oscar Wilde, Andy Warhol, Elton John, Cher, and Jeremy Scott. A defining characteristic in all of their work is that it is often so over the top that it is almost difficult to take it seriously.

Although the event is always hosted by Anna Wintour, she also chooses co-chairs to help host each year. This year’s co-chairs are Lady Gaga, Alessandro Michele, Harry Styles, and Serena Williams. Some confirmed attendees are regulars such as Rihanna, Blake Lively, Selena Gomez, Zendaya, Priyanka Chopra, Katy Perry, Kylie Jenner, and more.

The Met Gala is one of the most exclusive events of the year. No cameras are allowed inside, and there’s no way to watch what goes on inside. But, Vogue and E! will be live streaming on the red carpet so viewers can see what everyone is wearing. Although tickets are technically purchasable, they run anywhere from $30,000 to $50,000, and you still have to be personally approved by Anna Wintour herself.