Filed under Sports

The Downfall of Florida State Football

In 2017, the Florida State Seminoles finished their season with a record of 7-6, despite the fact their head coach, Jimbo Fisher, left the program midseason. Fisher decided to accept a head coaching position at Texas A&M. His decision, on leaving his beloved Seminoles to become an Aggie, was based on his belief in the program’s promising potential. However, ever since head coach Jimbo Fisher left Florida State’s football program, the Seminoles have fell off the list of being a potential contender in the College Football Playoffs.

After Jimbo Fisher’s departure, the Seminoles hired head coach Willie Taggart. FSU fans were skeptical of Taggart’s ability to lead the team through a conference as challenging as the ACC. After wrapping up Taggart’s first season in Tallahassee, it seems as if he did not live up to the expectations, and let fans of the university down. For the first time since 1981, Florida State could not punch in their ticket to play in a bowl game. Last year, the Seminoles had a disastrous record of 5-7, and recently, things have just been getting worse for ‘Noles fans.

Willie Taggart recently announced on February 3rd, 2019, that his four-star quarterback, Deondre Francois, has been dismissed from the team. His decision was based on the fact that Deondre’s pregnant girlfriend posted a video on Instagram claiming that he abused her. He also was charged with a misdemeanor for having possession on marijuana last year. Being an important piece to the program, Deondre also missed the 2017 season from a knee injury. So, Denondre’s highly potential talent has never been able to shine in Tallahassee, especially now that his time is up at Florida State.

It is safe to say that times have changed for Florida State ever since they came out their 2013 season, with a national championship and an undefeated record (14-0). The world of college football is anxiously waiting to see if Taggart’s Seminoles can put the puzzle pieces back together, and save their program. However, with the facts laid out, it looks like Florida State’s football program will continue their downward spiral, all the way to the bottom.

It’s safe to say that Florida State fans are anxious for the return of success for their beloved football program, especially with the recent success and growth of the Clemson Tigers and the Florida Gators. It seems like just yesterday Jameis Winston hit Kelvin Benjamin in the back of the end zone to win the 2014 BCS National Championship. Seminole fans can only hope there is light at the end of this long, dark tunnel.