Filed under Sports

Porzingis Trade

Back to Article
Back to Article

Porzingis Trade

On February 1, 2019, nearing the end of the trade deadline, an unexpected trade occurred. The New York Knicks and the Dallas Mavericks agreed to a blockbuster trade. The Mavericks received PF Kristaps Porzingis, PG Trey Burke, SG Courtney Lee, and SG Tim Hardaway Jr.. The Knicks received PG Dennis Smith Jr., SG Wesley Matthews, C Deandre Jordan, 2021 1st round pick, and 2023 1st round pick.

The biggest asset the Mavericks received was one time all-star Kristaps Porzingis. Porzingis who tore his ACL last year, has not been cleared to play in the 2019 season, but his untapped potential is what really pushed the Mavericks to make the trade. Porzingis still has two years on his contract, allowing him to still offer the Mavericks a chance to make a playoff run in the 2020 season. Another big addition the Mavericks got was Tim Hardaway Jr.. Averaging 19 points a game will be a huge addition to the Mavericks offense. He also has three year remaining on his contract allowing him to be a long term investment.

Although the Knicks did give up one of the league’s best players, they received some very good compensation. They added youngster Dennis Smith Jr. who has averaged 14 points per game this season. With Dennis Smith Jr. still having four years remaining on his contract, he looks to be a long term starter for the Knicks. The Knicks also received DeAndre Jordan who is a one time all-star. The bad thing about Jordan is that this will be the last year on his contract before he becomes a free agent. Another key addition for the Knicks was the future 1st round draft picks. They received a 1st rounder in 2021 and another in 2023.

The Mavericks decided to make this trade so that they could make a push for the playoffs in the next few years. This also pairs the two best European players in the league, Porzingis with Luka Doncic. The Knicks went for this trade as they are in the process of rebuilding and creating cap space to sign big free agents this offseason.