Filed under News

The Importance of Shortening the School Day

There are many debates on the appropriate length of a school day.  The obvious answer, if the school day should be shortened is, yes it should.  A shorter school day can bring the much needed emotional benefits to students today.  It can also allow for physical benefits and social benefits. All of these benefits are very important to the overall health and well being of the student in today’s world.   

The average student requires 8 to 9 hours of sleep to function.  Often times this is not happening because of the amount of homework that is given to them.  This lack of sleep causes emotional stress and anxiety. The time required by school is also preventing them from doing other activities that are important during the teenage years.  These activities could be participating in clubs, sports, work, and socializing with friends. Activities such as these are vital in becoming a well rounded person. They also help to determine a path for the student’s future.  Shorter time in the classroom could give the student the opportunity to discover interests that would be both fulfilling and life changing.

As you can see, there are many reasons for the student to get out and discover other experiences other than sitting in the classroom all day.  School is not considered a job, so why is the school day as long as an average workday? They need to get out and experience the world in order to benefit their overall physical, emotional, and social well being.