Filed under Sports

2018 Clemson Football Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

2018 Clemson Football Season

This football season there was a new king to college football and it came from the little town called Clemson. Clemson for the past 3 years has been to the College Football Playoffs and won a national championship its second year appearing in the playoffs.

In the spring, something unexpected happened and it was that 2 potential first round d-line (Christian Wilkins and Austin Bryant) past on the NFL draft and decided to come back to Clemson. This really boosted Clemson’s defense because now they would have all 4 first team All American defensive linemen back. After the spring game, 5 star quarterback Hunter Johnson left to go to Northwestern seeing that he wouldn’t get many minutes with Kelly Bryant still the starter and the up and coming #1 QB out of high school (Trevor Lawrence), on the rise. After the spring and leading up to the first game, it would be a battle between Kelly Bryant and Trevor Lawrence for that starting position at quarterback. Things looked good for Clemson coming into the season as they were preseason number 2 only behind the reigning champs Alabama.

So the issue that was starting to rise up in the quarterback battle was that Kelly Bryant was starting and wasn’t performing as well as Trevor Lawrence. The only game he kind of out performed him was the first game against Texas A&M. After the 4th game, in a blowout win over Georgia Tech, fans including me felt that Kelly just wasn’t playing up to Trevor’s level and that Dabo would have to bench him the next game which meant Kelly could leave after 4 games due to the new NCAA rule. So the week kinda got even more difficult for Clemson a former player died, and Trevor Lawrence got hurt during the 5th game against Syracuse, but Clemson came back and won with their backup Chase Brice (previously 3rd string).

After that challenging week, it was smooth sailing for Clemson because Trevor Lawrence can’t right back the next game and Clemson dominated every single team even Alabama in the National Championship game, who had never been beaten so bad under the Nick Saban Era! Not only did Clemson become the first team to be 15-0, but it also came through a lot of adversity at the beginning of the season!

Joseph Maw, Writer

Clemson sports enthusiast, Star Wars fan, Athlete, and I'm funny.