Filed under Showcase, Sports

Harden’s Historic Run

After coming off an MVP season last year, James Harden has not let off the gas having another insane season for the Houston Rockets. Harden, the 6’5″ 220 lb guard, has recently been making his case, again, by winning another MVP award. Potentially having back-to-back MVP seasons under his belt would be a huge step towards the Basketball Hall of Fame.

Many factors that led to Harden’s hot streak has included Chris Paul’s injury, his ability to draw fouls, and Mike D’Antoni’s coaching style. On December 20th, Chris Paul injured his hamstring against the Miami Heat. This allowed James Harden to run the offense and shoot at will. After Chris Paul’s injury, Harden saw a huge increase in his 3-point and free throw attempts. Another huge factor in Harden’s recent success is Mike D’Antoni’s 7- second offense. This has allowed Harden to play fast and put up a ton of shots.

James Harden’s hot streak began against the Los Angeles Lakers on December 13, where he had a 50-point triple double, and he has not cooled down since. During this 24-game stretch, Harden has averaged an insane 42.4 points, 7.9 rebounds, and 7.9 assists. Harden has also hit his career high in points in a game with 61 against the New York Knicks. To add on to that, Harden has hit 50-plus points 4 times during this stretch. Mostly all NBA players don’t hit 50 points in a game their whole career.

James Harden has not only helped himself during this stretch, as he has helped the team tremendously. The Rockets had a record of 12-14 before Harden’s streak, which left them out of the playoff picture. Since the Lakers game, the Rockets have had a record of 17-7, which boosts their overall record to 29-21. This record has put them in the 5th seed position in the Western Conference.