Filed under Sports

Shaquem Griffin

Shaquem Griffin was born on July 20, 1995 in St. Petersburg, Florida less than two minutes after his twin brother Shaquill Griffin. Both from a young age aspired to play in the NFL. Shaquem and Shaquill have always been close, both doing the same sports and always having a friendly competition between them. Although Shaquem and Shaquill were very similar, Shaquem was born with Amniotic Band Syndrome. This syndrome affected his left hand, causing his fingers on his left hand to never fully develop. His mother found him one day in the kitchen with a butchers knife trying to amputate his own hand because of the pain. His mother then scheduled an amputation the next day. Shaquem’s left hand was amputated at the age of four. He never let this inconvenience get in the way of his dreams. Shaquem was a three-star safety coming out of high school. Both Shaquem and his brother Shaquill were offered football scholarships from the University of Central Florida (UCF). Shaquill rejected offers from other Universities to be able to play with Shaquem. Shaquem spent his whole college career at UCF, totaling for 17 sacks, 30 tackles for a loss, 4 forced fumbles, and 3 interceptions.    

Shaquem redshirted his freshman year allowing him to be eligible to play for a fifth year. In 2016, Shaquem was awarded the American Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Year. During his senior season, UCF went undefeated and subsequently claimed a controversial national championship. After his college career, Shaquem was named as one of two recipients of the 2019 NCAA Inspiration Award. This award is presented to individuals whose efforts in dealing with life-altering personal situations inspire others. He received an invitation to the 2018 NFL Draft. Following his invitation, Shaquem began to receive extensive social media and press coverage leading up to the draft. Shaquem would be the first one-handed player drafted into the NFL if chosen. On April 28, 2018, he was selected by the Seattle Seahawks in the fifth round, reuniting him with his brother Shaquill who was already playing as a cornerback for the Seahawks.                                        

In Shaquem’s preseason, he was able to lead the Seahawks in total tackles for the entire 2018 NFL preseason. He made fifteen tackles for them. Shaquem is still pursuing his dream and is still currently playing for the Seattle Seahawks. His hard work and dedication to football has paid off and he continues to inspire many people today