Filed under Entertainment, Showcase

Behind the Success of The Reputation Tour

Back to Article
Back to Article

Three years after Taylor Swift’s pop album 1989, the world renown singer branched out into a new, unprecedented level of musical dominance with the release of Reputation in 2017. According to Music Mayhem Magazine, the album “blends genres like pop, rock, hip-hop, R&B, and even a bit of rap together to make a No. 1 record-breaking album.” While many fans criticize Swift for straying from her country roots, the Reputation album and subsequent tour have resulted in unsurmountable popularity and success never before seen by a female artist.

Behind the Music

Since the release of Taylor Swift in 2006, Swift’s albums have consistently been released every two years. Therefore, Swift’s three-year absence from the music charts raised quite a bit of suspicion on what her next move would be. But was anyone really “…Ready For It?.”

Differing vastly from Swift’s previous music, Reputation shows Swift’s vengeful, more independent side, shattering her reputation as America’s Sweetheart. In response to slander from other stars, including most notably Kanye West, Kim Kardashian, and Katy Perry, Swift released the powerful single “Look What You Made Me Do” prior to the release of the full album. The single and subsequent music video shocked fans and proved that Swift no longer cared about what her critics thought of her. Music critic Frank Guan from Vulture Magazine responded to the release of “Look What You Made Me Do” by deeming it the “worst music of her career” and a “creative debacle.” But if critics say Swift made something bad, then why did it do so good? Despite negative media feedback, “Look What You Made Me Do” climbed the charts all the way to #1 on Billboard’s charts for three weeks and the music video reached a monumental peak of 1 billion views.

While her other songs did not reach quite the same level of success as “Look What You Made Me Do”, they were far from average. Each song carried with it the staple electropop style of the album and included carefully thought out lyrics relating to her newfound strength and disregard for her reputation. This is evident in the multi-part series “The Making of a Song” shot by Swift herself and produced by AT&T that shows the creative process behind the Reputation album.

Behind the Tour

As if the album was not enough, Swift embarked on her most iconic tour yet on May 8, 2018 in Glendale, California. Swift’s first stadium tour did not disappoint, including surprise celebrity appearances and wild props that had fans screaming the entire night. Humble as always, Swift credited the success to her fans, massive team of dancers, incredible band, and other supporters; however, anyone who has seen her perform knows that the success is really due to Swift’s wonderful stage presence and ability to connect with her fans.

Though she only toured with Charlie XCX and Camila Cabello, singers from Tim McGraw to Bryan Adams to Selena Gomez appeared on different nights to add to Swift’s fire. Literally, her fire.

Yes, there was fire, along with fireworks, a contraption to carry Swift above the audience to different stages, a giant fountain, and a 63-foot cobra that appeared during the bridge of “Look What You Made Me Do.” Many in attendance were shocked by the appearance of the cobra; however, the snake reference was not lost on even the most apathetic of fans. Using her feud with Kim Kardashian, the tour included many references to the snake nickname Swift so unexpectedly embraced, turning a bash into a blast, and a staggering number of fans dressed in snakeskin in support of Swift.

Certain fans, however, were not quite as familiar with Swift’s new sound and attended the Reputation concert in hopes that she would sing some of her throwback jams, or in Maggie’s mom’s case simply because her daughters are Swift obsessed. While Swift did include some of her older music, including a jaw-dropping mash-up of “Love Story” and “You Belong With Me,” the majority of the music was from the Reputation album (naturally), and my mom was surprised by how much she enjoyed it. When she decided to buy Maggie and herself concert tickets to see Swift in Atlanta, Georgia, Maggie’s mom was unfamiliar with Swift’s new music. However, she quickly found that she enjoyed it the most out of all of Swift’s past albums, claiming the Reputation songs were “fun, upbeat, and empowering.” She also said that it was one of the best concerts she has ever been to, and she was “shocked by all of the work that must have gone into the tour and by how well Swift engaged her audience.”

Though some fans could not share in the hype of the concerts, Swift provided for the less fortunate as well. On New Year’s Eve, Netflix released a concert film of Swift’s Dallas, Texas performance. The movie provides the opportunity for all fans to revel in what we deem Swift’s most iconic performance yet.

From the iconic album to the tour that grossed a record-breaking $266.1 million, Swift remains in a league of her own and has fans anxious for what’s to come. And if Swift’s reputation precedes her, then we know that whatever does come is sure to be fabulous.