Filed under Entertainment

The Lonely Biscuits Come To Knoxville

Two weekends ago (August 24th-26th), Sunset on Central, a local event at the Central Filling Station in Northern Knoxville, hosted its annual 3-day concert extravaganza. The event had over thirteen artists at over three different venues, not to mention other exciting features such as a silent disco. The event was free and family and dog friendly. Sunset on Central proudly partnered with Tailgating for a Cause, a local organization that raises money for certain charities and is “founded upon the idea that fun and philanthropy aren’t mutually exclusive.”

The lineup also featured Quinn Erwin, Kelsi Walker, and other bands. On Saturday night, The Lonely Biscuits, a band from Nashville, Tennessee took the stage. 

Who are The Lonely Biscuits?

When you hear the name “The Lonely Biscuits”, you might chuckle and think, Wow, just another strange band with a strange name that plays strange alternative music. And I guess you would be right, they are a strange group of guys who plays funky alternative music. But their lively energy, their incredible lyrics, and yes, even their strange name are what draws people to them, including me.

I have been a fan of “the biscuits” since the sixth grade, when my sister came home one day from a Moon Taxi concert where they opened. Immediately, I was in love. Since then, I have followed the band, listening to new albums, going to concerts, and even buying merchandise. So you can imagine my elation when I found out they were coming to Knoxville again.

The band consists of Grady Wenrich (pictured above) on vocals and lead guitar, Sam Gidley on the drums, and Nick Byrd on bass. Their genre is technically American Indie, but their music is described as a mix of  “soul, funk, hip hop and pop”.

Where did they start playing music?

The Lonely Biscuits was born because of a lucky set of circumstances. Wenrich and Gidley were roommates at Belmont University in Nashville in September of 2011. John Paterini, a former singer and guitarist for the band, heard Wenrich and Gidley playing in their dorm one night and joined in and thus the band was formed. The original name for the band was actually Gravy and the Biscuits, but because of some legal issues, the name became what is is known as today. Byrd, the bassist, later joined the band in November of 2011.

The Lonely Biscuits released their first single, “Butter” which quickly reached 25,000 views on Youtube and boosted them into the indie community. Their first show was at Elberta, a popular student-housing community center at Belmont. They then released their first EP, Soul Food.

After, they released one of their most popular singles, “Chasin Echos” which is still listed as their number one single on Spotify. They won the Southeast regional college Battle of the Bands and also won the MTVu College Artist Woodie.

Shortly after, member John Paterini left the band to pursue other things. The band then came out with the album Come Around.

Since then, The Lonely Biscuits have come out with other albums such as San Francisco EP (2017), The Universe in You (2018), and other singles such as “Pacifica” (2015), “Ma’am” (2015), “Circle Lines” (2015) and “Talk About” (2016).

When asked about The Lonely Biscuits, sophomore at Bearden Greyson Howell said, “I feel that they are underrated by the indie community and deserve more recognition for their uniqueness.” When asked about their most recent show in Knoxville, Howell stated, “They came to party. They were very good at keeping the crowd laughing and entertained.”

They are about to go on tour in the eastern United States, starting off in Ithaca,  New York on November 10th. I’m sure you can see them back here in Knoxville very soon. And for all of us TLB fans, we will be happy to have them back.