Filed under Entertainment

‘Avengers: Infinity War’ (2018) Review

Movie: Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

Genre: Action

Director: Anthony Russo, Joe Russo

Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson

I would be lying if I said that I haven’t had my doubts about the success of Avengers: Infinity War (2018). For 10 years, Marvel Studios has built a massive roster of characters seemingly impossible to bring together in a single, cohesive film. However, that’s exactly what studio head, Kevin Feige promised fans this April—an epic struggle to unite Marvel’s vast array of superheroes and defeat the Mad Titan, Thanos, before he destroys half of the universe. Although I was initially apprehensive of the Russo brothers’ ability to write and direct a film that gave fans the closure they deserve, I soon realized once the lights dimmed at my theater that I had no reason to worry at all. Avengers: Infinity War is without a doubt one of Marvel’s greatest achievements. The Russos somehow found a way to craft a film that feels both new and exciting as well as rewarding for fans that have followed this franchise for a decade, and I couldn’t be happier with the direction the duo looks to be taking Marvel projects in the future.

I think what feels the most different about Infinity War than other Marvel films is that this time the stakes feel palpable. There is a constant fear as the movie reaches its tragic, action-filled climax that any one of the characters—some new and some old—that fans have gotten to know over the past few years could be killed off with the snap of Thanos’ fingers (I mean this quite literally). The best compliment I can give the Russo brothers is that they actually had me on the edge of my seat while watching an MCU film. A lack of tension is a complaint I’ve had with many of Marvel’s recent movies—that in the end, characters almost always make it back alive no matter how dangerous their journey or how powerful the villain they defeat.

However, this isn’t a problem moviegoers will have to worry about when they go to watch Infinity War this spring. Without spoiling any of the film’s twists and turns, characters do die. The body count is enormous compared to any other Marvel movie fans have seen thus far, and the film is all the better for it. Infinity War is dark, brutal, and shockingly mature in how it treats its audience. There is a cost for our heroes in their quest to save the universe, and the lives of fan favorite characters are shockingly the price that must be paid. It quickly becomes a nerve-wracking experience whenever Thanos appears on screen. Josh Brolin does an excellent job bringing complexity and intrigue to the villain—a character that, on the surface, appears to be nothing more than an ugly, purple man. He is intelligent, ferocious, and merciless in his mission to balance the universe, bringing a sometimes unbearable sense of dread to scenes in which he meets our heroes head on. Apart from crafting a film with tension and horrifying stakes, the Russos also managed to write what could be the best Marvel villain to date.

I hate to sound like one of those annoying Marvel fanboys screaming “believe the hype” on Twitter, but it turns out that Avengers: Infinity War really is that good of a movie. Believe the hype! The Russo brothers came through with quite a film—a film with laughs, action, and tragedy beyond anything Marvel has put out yet. I’m not saying that Infinity War is the best movie ever, but it’s certainly a fantastic blockbuster that completely surpassed my expectations for what the MCU could achieve. The film’s tension consistently kept me on the edge of my seat, and seeing many of my favorite comic book characters finally go up against the incredibly well-written and menacing Thanos was an absolute blast. I would wholeheartedly recommend seeing Avengers: Infinity War this April. You won’t be disappointed.

My Score: 9/10