Filed under Entertainment

My Top 12 Songs

Concluding the semester and moving into the summer months, students will finally get to experience the relaxation and down time that they’ve all been highly anticipating by indulging in the things they enjoy most. For some, including myself, music is a way to completely unwind and feel loose and free.

Throughout my experience with journalism, I’ve directed my efforts towards the evaluation and review of various music albums, both new and old. As for my final article, I’ve decided to get more personal and go through my favorite tracks. Picking and choosing just 12 songs was definitely not an easy process for me, but after careful consideration, I’ve finally gathered my top picks.

To keep this piece short and sweet, I’m going to bullet off my picks in order from lowest to highest in ranking and only analyze the higher ranking half of my list, but I highly suggest listening to all of the songs!

• “Castle on the Hill” by Ed Sheeran (2017)
  • “The Cave” by Mumford & Sons (2010)
  • “She’s So Cold” by The Rolling Stones (1980)
  • “Hotel California” by the Eagles (1976)
  • “Three” by Future feat. Young Thug (2017)
  • “X” by ScHoolboy Q feat. 2 Chainz, Saudi, and Kendrick Lamar (2018)
  • “POA” by Future (2017)
  • “Never Gonna Leave This Bed” by Maroon 5 (2011)
  • “Paradise” by Coldplay (2011)
  • “I Can Only Imagine” by MercyMe (1999)
  • “Sweet Disposition” by The Temper Trap (2008)
  • “Fix You” by Coldplay (2005)

As much as I’d love to ramble on and on about all the songs on this list, I will keep it short and sweet with the better half as promised. So, let’s just jump right in!

As much as I love rap, “POA” by Future is the only rap track that made it in my top six. This is probably my favorite rap track to date. Why? Well, honestly, there’s really nothing special about it other than the title being an acronym for “power of attorney.” The track portrays Future’s luxurious and careless lifestyle using very fluid beats and lyrics. From start to finish, the beat remains the same and the versus hardly vary from the choruses, creating the fluidity and catchiness that puts it in the number six slot.

Maroon 5 has been a musical influence in the pop world and has crafted many hits, but “Never Gonna Leave This Bed” takes the cake for their best song. Adam Levine sings from his heart about his intense love for his companion and how their love will keep them together for an eternity. There isn’t a lot to say about this one other than I just like it. It’s the classic cheesy love song that’s just enough to make it go (coincidentally) in my number five slot.

At number four, the first of two Coldplay tracks takes its place. “Paradise” is one of Coldplay’s most iconic songs for its fun and inspirational flow and its lyrics. The song tells a story of a girl who used to dream of what she wanted life to be like, but after the harshness and disappointment of reality kicks in, she can only reach a paradise in her dreams.

“I Can Only Imagine” by MercyMe was released in 1999 and written by singer Bart Millard. He wrote the song in dedication to his father who had recently passed away. The song is fairly straightforward with its message-being that the thought of heaven and seeing God will be insurmountable to any earthly experience-and is known to be one of the most popular Christian songs today. Its message succeeds in creating inspiration and motivation among religious listeners and earns it the number three spot on my list.

The Temper Trap is a lesser known band in the mainstream music world. “Sweet Disposition” comes from their 2009 album Conditions and nests itself as my second favorite song. The track was written with the goals of portraying the importance and significance of youth. The band suggests in the song that the ideal of rationalization of decisions as an adult is why youth are usually blissful: they act first and think later. The song’s takeaways, lyricism, and tune are all reasons why it falls so high on my list.

Last, but most definitely not least, Coldplay’s “Fix You” from X&Y wins the gold metal. “Fix You” was a sure winner on my list and take the number one spot. Coldplay’s Chris Martin wrote this song for his former wife Gwyneth Paltrow. He sings about the loss of her father that occured during their marriage and attempts to comfort her as best he can. The idea behind the track is centered around the powers of love and loss. Martin wants to, instead of replace her father, help her to understand the need to let go of him while not forgetting what he left behind. He seeks to explain that he cannot feel the same pain that she feels, but wants to do the best he can to be there for her. However, through his lyrics, he accepts the fact that being his best for her might not even be enough and hopes that their love will help her overcome her loss.

That’s a wrap! I hope that you can find at least a couple of good tracks from my list! Obviously, I suggest you check them all out as they are my favorites of all time. Thanks for reading and happy listening!