Filed under Entertainment

Walmart Yodeler Makes it Big

In this day and age, we are all very familiar with overnight sensations. Mason Ramsey is no exception. Ramsey is more often known as “the yodeling Walmart boy” or Lil Hank Williams referring to his favorite landmark country singer Hank Williams Sr. Lil Hank is an 11 year old boy from Golconda, Illinois. He was recorded yodeling “Lovesick Blues” in Walmart, hence the nickname, and after that the rest was history.

In an article titled “Lil’ Hank Williams in the Walmart Aisle”, Justin Peters expresses the impact of Lil Hanks moment by saying, “YouTube users absolutely love him. A cute kid capably expressing an unusual talent in a quotidian setting is as surefire a recipe for virality as I can imagine; add to that the extra-credit points conferred by incorporating Walmart, country music, and a little bow tie.” Lil Hank is loved by many because of his unique style of performance. Not only did he make his first appearance in a Walmart aisle, but little details like his squatting movement when hitting those hard to reach high notes brings the audience to their knees. Alongside his unique style in singing those well known notes in “Lovesick Blues.”

In the course of a month since Lil Hank was all the rage he has already achieved more than anyone could have ever imagined. Although he didn’t just wake up and become a super star. Mason Ramsey told Taste of Country he has been singing and playing the guitar since he was capable. He says his love of Hank Williams Sr. began when he would listen to his grandfather entertain in the garage. Ramsey said that before his encounter at Walmart, his greatest achievement was in 2016 when he was winner of the Kentucky Opry Talent Show, Beginner Division. His career skyrocketed with his rendition of “Lovesick Blues” in Walmart. With almost 2 million followers on Instagram and 20 million views of his iconic video, he is quite frankly a legend. He performed at Coachella, one of the biggest, most well known music festivals, as well as Stagecoach, another highly popular country music festival held in California. He has yet to headline, but many expect it in the foreseeable future.

Like any musician or artist, he has also released his very first song. His masterpiece is titled “Famous” with more than 60,000 spotify streams. The song highlights his wish to be famous for loving a woman. He sings, “If I’m gonna be famous for something, girl I wanna be famous for lovin’ you.” His song was only made possible thanks to his record deal with Atlantic Records and Nashville’s Big Loud. He has truly made a name for himself and has left many in awe.