Filed under Entertainment

Xantastic or a Flaming Trash Xan?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Xantastic or a Flaming Trash Xan?

Diego Leanos, a 21 year old Californian rapper who goes by the stage name “Lil Xan,” recently dropped a studio album by the name of Total Xanarchy. After a rise of fame on Soundcloud, Lil Xan has topped the Billboard charts with multiple singles. This album was created in hopes to kick off his career even more, but it has deemed negative reviews so far. Multiple weeks after its release, FHS Anchor music analyst and sound expert Jackson Poindexter decided to voice his opinion to the masses:

Rating: 6/10

Favorite Song: “Deceived”

Total Xanarchy was released April 6, 2018 by Lil Xan. At its peak, it reached number 10 on the US Billboard 200.

In my opinion, there is one word to describe this album: rushed. It was almost as if he took a handful of songs he had already written, and then threw them in a pot with new songs that sound the exact same. His quick rise to fame made Lil Xan and producers Bobby Johnson and DJ Fu feel like they needed to release an album as soon as they possibly could. The fact of the matter is that Lil Xan has developed a fan base, and he should have taken his time releasing an album instead of assuming all the fans would disappear if he stopped releasing music.

I start with the negative because I am a fan of Lil Xan. When listening to the songs that were released first on this album, you do get a little taste of that carefree Soundcloud rapper that everyone fell in love with. You just have to look for it.

Diego also did some good things with this album. Through this album Lil Xan has individualized himself in the music industry. He is rocking an emo, heart sinking, anti-xanax, mysterious style of rap that even the common person can listen to. His appeal to the common person and his unique style of music is the reason he has blown up. He sounds unlike any rapper in music today, which is a good thing! Lil Xan has also proved that he can work with artists that are already huge. Some of these artists are: Steven Cannon, Rae Sremmurd, 2 Chainz, Yo Gotti and even Rich the Kid.

Jackson Poindexter, Writer

Citizen first, Journalist second. Friend always.