Filed under Features, Showcase

Your Guide to a Fun, Fit Summer: Eating Choices and Fitness

Finally, the snow piles turn into enormous pollen mobs that coat the windshield of your car and it seems to be that time of year again. The flowers start to bloom and the rummaging through last years summer clothing selection begins as well, and unfortunately those cute shorts just won’t button. Fear not, for many of us deal with squeezing into tight pants or struggling to cut back on the delicious treats. Although donuts and pizza get a bad wrap, the truth is that too much of anything can be detrimental to anyone. The difference ,though, lies in maintaining a balanced lifestyle between eating and fitness.

Eating Choices

The myth about eating right and diets lies in the statement that once you commit to a “healthy lifestyle” that means dropping all “bad food” and consequently, your happiness. Although an eating lifestyle based on low nutrient foods is not ideal, the occasional treat won’t hurt any progress and is in fact good for your mental health. The basics of healthy eating follow the 80/20 rule which states that 80% of the time you should eat foods high in nutritional value, such as vegetables and fruits, and 20% of the time it is alright to have more optional food freedoms. When focusing on nutritional foods, it is important to keep a balance among proteins, carbohydrates and fats. Although diets can help you manage how much and what you eat, it is still important to maintain this balance in food groups in order to give your body the essential fuel it needs. When trying to “get in shape” for summer, be sure to remember to give your body the vitamins it needs, but also keep in mind that having a flexible routine is alright too!

Fitness

When your body has the right nutrients and fuel, it then makes achieving your fitness goals reasonable and achievable. Although eating right is essential to eating healthier, fitness and being active is a great way to become stronger and makes daily activities easier on your body. When your body is moving and burning calories, your brain releases endorphins which are known as “feel good chemicals.” These chemicals leave you feeling better than before, and overtime build confidence and motivation if you stick to a fitness routine that works for you. It is also important to identify your goals when choosing a fitness routine. If your goal is fat loss and muscle gain, it is better to have a weight lifting schedule weekly. If your goal is cardiovascular endurance, cardio such as running or swimming is a great way to get moving.

Regardless of the eating or fitness choice you decide to follow, it is so important to remember that mental health is just as important as your physical health. Allowing yourself a slice of pizza every now and then or taking a night off to watch a movie instead of the gym is a great way to de-stress. Overall, when you learn to maintain a balance in your lifestyle, your fitness goals and aspirations in general will be that much easier to pursue. Good luck and happy healthing!