Filed under Features

Spaghetti Squash Tacos

If you’ve never heard of spaghetti squash before, it is a type of vegetable that looks like spaghetti when you scrape out the inside. While the texture is not exactly like spaghetti, the squash is surprisingly similar to it. Spaghetti squash is extremely easy to make, as well as extremely versatile! An example of the squash’s versatility is in the inspiration for this recipe.

Most teens today may remember the “Spaghetti Tacos” that Spencer made in the popular Nickelodeon TV show iCarly. The dish consisted of a hard shell taco with the basic spaghetti and marinara sauce as the filling. Spaghetti tacos sound like a strange combination, especially when the recipe is just carbs on carbs. While putting different forms of carbohydrates together is no problem for most, some may worry about the lack of vegetables.

Have no fear, though!

The vegetable problem is an easy fix with a simple substitution of spaghetti squash in place of the regular spaghetti and soft corn tortillas instead of hard shell tortillas! This recipe keeps all of the fun of the infamous iCarly TV show dish without compromising any health benefits (especially with the addition of a kale side salad)!

With that being said … Here is the recipe!

Makes 4 Servings

What You Will Need: 

1. 1 Large spaghetti squash
  2. 2 Small or one large carton of grape tomatoes
  3. 8 Small corn tortillas
  4. 2 Cups vegan “chicken” or any meat you want (ground or chopped into small pieces)
  5. 8 Cups of fresh kale
  6. 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
  7. Rosemary (fresh or dried) to taste
  8. Basil (fresh or dried) to taste
  9. Garlic (minced or powder) to taste
  10. Parmigiano reggiano (or whatever your cheese preference) to taste

For the Squash:

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
  2. Make little divots all around the squash by puncturing it with a fork or knife. (Be careful!)
  3. Microwave the whole squash for about 4-5 minutes
  4. Slice squash in half lengthwise and scoop all seeds out with a spoon
  5. Drizzle the inside of the squash with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper (You can be generous here since it’s only touching the top layer of the squash.)
  6. Place squash face down on a baking sheet and roast in oven for about 15 minutes. (Squash should be tender enough to scrape easily with a fork but should NOT be too squishy or watery. It is okay if the squash seems a little hard because it will finish cooking in the sauce later.) If the squash is too hard to scrape, place back in the oven and keep your eye on it for about 5 more minutes or until the squash is cooked to the consistency described above.
  7. Scrape out all of the insides of the squash with a fork, put inside of a bowl and set it aside.

For the Sauce:

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (this is to warm up the tortillas once the sauce is finished)
  2. Halve all of the grape tomatoes and chop the vegan chicken, or whatever meat you prefer, into small pieces after you have cooked the meat according to its cooking instructions.
  3. Drizzle olive oil into a saucepan and let it heat up for about a minute.
  4. Once hot, add in garlic (if using fresh, minced garlic) and sauté for about one more minute.
  5. Add in all of the tomatoes, turn heat to medium-high and let cook for 2-3 minutes.
  6. Add a few splashes of water, cover, and simmer (stirring occasionally) until tomatoes are tender (about 10 minutes).
  7. Once the tomatoes have begun to cook down, add in all of the herbs and turn heat down to medium-low. **Caution: don’t add herbs too soon or they will burn.**
  8. Cook for another minute and add in the vegan chicken or your preferred meat.
  9. Add in the spaghetti squash and cook until well combined (2-3 minutes).

For the Salad:

1. Massage Kale underneath water, shake to dry or place on a towel and put 2 cups of kale on each plate with your favorite salad dressing.

To Plate:

1. Put the 8 corn (or flour) tortillas on a baking sheet and place in the oven just until warm (1-3 minutes depending on your preferred texture). **It is important to warm the tortillas because it makes them easier to fold with all of the tasty stuffings inside. Also, who likes cold tortillas, anyways?**
  2. Place 2 tortillas on each plate and add about 1 ½ – 2 cups of the spaghetti squash mixture on top of the tortillas.
  3. Sprinkle with cheese and garnish with a fresh basil leaf (Optional).

Now it’s time to eat your iCarly inspired, HEALTHY BUT DELICIOUS meal!!!

I hope you all enjoy!