Filed under News

Sinclair Broadcast Group

Last week, Deadspin posted a video of hundreds of live local TV stations reading a script regarding fake news. The script basically implies that other news stations may not be running real news. The video went viral, raising many questions and leading to an all-out media war. Here’s what you should know about the Sinclair Broadcast Group:

They are the largest owner of local stations in the country.

Sinclair Group owns 173 TV stations all across the US and is currently in the process of acquiring more. The group announced last May that they intend to buy Tribune Media but has been met with red tape in an effort to prevent a monopoly.

They use “must-runs” to promote conservative ideas.

While most broadcasters use “must-runs” to push stations promotions, Sinclair Group has repeatedly made their stations run commentary on events and issues that is not needed. The result of this can confuse the viewers who are watching the stations. People are known to trust their local news and anchors. When a story is aired with any kind of bias, it can sway the viewers as well as put the journalistic integrity of the anchors at risk.

They own stations here in Tennessee.

Just here in Tennessee they own nine stations: three in Chattanooga, three in Nashville, one in Johnson City & Kingsport, and one in Bristol.

It is important for local news to not feel pressured into covering something with any party slant. If the Sinclair Entertainment Group is allowed to buy more local news stations, and continue to push right-leaning “must-runs” on the anchors, the viewers will continue to be mislead and lose faith in the news.