Filed under Sports

Nova Steals the Show

After an entertaining month of college basketball, we finally have our national champs, the Villanova Wildcats. I can’t say this was a surprise because they were ranked #1 in the country for the majority of the season, and they were the #2 overall seed in the NCAA tournament. Villanova got off to a slow start but forged a 23-6 run to close the first half. They went into the break with a 37-28 lead over Michigan and never let go of it. They kept a 10 point cushion the majority of the second half and the final score was 79-62. Nova was led by Sophomore guard, Donte DiVincenzo, who boasted a total of 31 points and 5 rebounds.

Although the National Championship game wasn’t an upset, there were plenty of others throughout the tournament. The headlining Cinderella story is the Loyola Chicago Ramblers. They came in as a #11 seed, but managed to beat the odds by making an impressive Final Four run. Part of their claim to fame was their knack for making game-winning shots, and their team chaplain, Sister Jean, who is a 98 year old nun that captured the hearts of basketball fans all across America. Loyola’s run overshadowed arguably the biggest upset in College Basketball history. This being the University of Maryland, Baltimore County’s win over the Virginia Cavaliers. The Cavaliers were the #1 overall seed in the tournament and they lost to the lowest #16 seed possible. Before this game, no #16 seed had ever beat a #1 seed in the history of the tournament, and UMBC did it in a huge fashion with a 74-54 blowout win.

As we all begin our March Madness withdrawal symptoms, we need to stop to look back and appreciate one of the craziest tournaments in the history of the NCAA.