Filed under Sports

SEC Champs!

Basketball at the University of Tennessee has traditionally been nothing but a sideshow to stave off the fans until football season comes back. With the football team struggling, and the basketball team playing well, we are looking more and more like a basketball school. The Volunteers are boasting a 23-7 regular season record, while winning their first conference championship in thirteen years! On top of that, Coach Rick Barnes won SEC coach of the year, Grant Williams won SEC player of the year, and Lamonte Turner won Sixth man of the year award.

The team leader, Grant Williams, is averaging 15.6 points, 5.8 rebounds, and 1.8 assists per game. He is a sophomore from Providence Day High School in Charlotte, North Carolina, where he earned a perfect score on the ACT and learned to play 12 different instruments. All of his previous coaches and teachers all say that he has a lot of character. Williams’s ability to keep the team surrounded by a positive atmosphere, and his unselfish attitude, is what I believe is making the difference for this Tennessee team.  

So with the SEC and NCAA tournament looming, the Volunteers are getting geared up for the last push of an already impressive season. Although the team did much better than anticipated, (preseason experts had UT finishing 13th in the SEC) they will not be satisfied with anything less than a national championship.