Filed under Features

How to Become an Orthodontist

Becoming an orthodontist can take a lot of time and hard work, but in the end it is all worth it.

Step 1: Graduate high school and go on to college

The first step is graduating high school and going to either a 2-year or 4-year college. Most dental schools prefer their applicants to have a bachelor’s degree but some may allow a 2-year degree. Depending on the school, there will be different requirements based on classes, GPA, and other test scores to be able to get in a dental school.

Step 2: Apply for dental school

When applying to a dental school, there may be certain requirements you have to meet to even apply. Also, you will have to take an exam prior to getting accepted. Dental school takes about 4 years to complete. You will take a variety of different classes and even have hands on experiences in labs.

Step 3: Training

After finishing your 4 years of dental school, you will need to have an additional two to three years of training and other education at an orthodontic practice. In these couple of years, you will be shadowing an orthodontist and having hands on practice.

Step 4: Pass the written exam

To officially become a practicing orthodontist, you have to pass the American Board of Orthodontics exam written portion. It is not a difficult exam, but you must pass it in order to move on and own your own practice.

Step 5: Open your own practice

After successfully completing all the steps, you can open your own orthodontic practice and be able to run your own business, while also having flexible hours and a very high pay.