Filed under Entertainment

Christmas Time in Tennessee

In Knoxville, Tennessee, it may not seem like there is a lot to do around the holidays, but there are a few activities and events you can participate in. One of the most popular things to do here is ice skating in Market Square. During the holiday season the city puts out a big ice rink in the middle of the square and they hang up lights to add to the holiday vibe. They also play Christmas music while you skate, which really puts you in the holiday spirit. If you get hungry after you skate there are some of the best restaurants in Knoxville; including Tomato Head, Kabuki, Tupelo Honey, and more. Shopping is also included in Market Square, so you will never get bored.

Another seasonal favorite is Shadrack’s Christmas Wonderland. An amazing drive-thru light show. Shadrack’s has their own radio station that you turn on as you drive through the color changing lights, and they play Christmas music that the lights change color to. There are hundreds of thousands of lights. There is also the option of Santa’s workshop with pony rides and a petting zoo. Admission to the lights is $25 for cars or family vans, $40 for activity vans, limos and mini buses, and $80 for tour and school buses. Pony rides are $5 and it’s $2 to visit and feed the petting zoo animals.

The Lantern Express Train is another fun activity. It is running from December 15 – December 23 in Market Square. It departs at 9:45 a.m., 1:00 p.m., and 4:45 p.m. The train includes story time, holiday treats, festive decorations, and visiting Santa. This would be fun for any kids into the holiday spirit.