Filed under Entertainment

Broadway Comes to Knoxville

You may know it because you love Broadway or because Panic! At the Disco’s Brendon Urie recently played one of the lead roles, but, either way, the Broadway play Kinky Boots is coming to the Tennessee Theater this December. The show is based on the book by four-time Tony Award winner Harvey Fierstein, features music written by pop icon Cyndi Lauper, and was choreographed by Tony Award winner Jerry Mitchell. It is a well decorated show, having won six Tony Awards including Best Musical, Best Score, and Best Choreography. On this particular tour of the show, the two lead roles will be played by Lance Bordelon and Jos N. Banks.

The play follows the story of Charlie Prince (to be played by Bordelon) who is the heir to his family shoe business Prince & Son, located in Northampton. As the years pass, Charlie shows interest in other things besides the family business and has just moved to London when his father suddenly dies. Charlie is now faced with the incredible challenge of trying to save his father’s business, and finds unexpected help in a drag queen named Lola (to be played by Banks). Together they must overcome many obstacles, the largest being their own differences, to create a new line of sturdy stilettos that will pull the company from bankruptcy.

The show is a wonderful, fun story of acceptance and friendship that would appeal to any audience. You can see it December 15th, 16th, and 17th, and tickets range from forty-four to ninety-nine dollars.