Filed under News

SHSMUN 2017

The Southeastern High School Model United Nations (SHSMUN) took place from Saturday, November 18 to Monday, November 20. Farragut High School represented the countries of Greece, Ukraine, and Somalia during the conference, which took place in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Hundreds of students visited the conference during the three day event. Everyone was split into separate committees for all of Saturday and half of Sunday. The rest of the time was spent in General Assembly, where everyone would gather with representatives from their country and vote together.

Farragut did very well during SHSMUN, with two students winning honorable mentions for best delegate and one winning best delegate. Two students also received the honor of being promoted, with one going from being a delegate to the Chair of Legal Committee and the other going from Chair to one of the top positions in SHSMUN.

Caden Farley, the winner of best delegate and next year’s legal chair, was asked how he felt before SHSMUN and answered,” Apprehension and anxiety, but as long as you’re prepared, you shouldn’t be that nervous. And you always enjoy it.”

In relation to this year’s club he said,” We had a lot of new freshmen going into the club and conference and that was cool. Farragut got the most resolutions on the docket, which was a testament to the ability of the officers and the new members.”

The Farragut Model UN club this year had 32 members, including officers, who lead the club. The officers this year were Karlyn, Konrad, Mathew, Roger, and Caden. The club as a whole met every Thursday conducting practice debates and going over procedures. The SHSMUN conference this year was a large success for those planning and attending, and hopefully Farragut will do even better next year!