Filed under News

Rest in Peace Coyote

The late class fish, Coyote, was named after the ingenious adventurer and entomologist, Coyote Peterson. Coyote the fish was a dragon-scale betta, with beautiful green and blue markings. He was a wonderful addition to the Farragut High School journalism class. Day after day, Coyote brought a glimmer of happiness to all he encountered. He was an intelligent betta who helped write and edit many articles for the infamous FHS Anchor. He took a load off of Ms. Toth by always being there for her when she stayed late to grade papers. Coyote Peterson was a godsend to all of us, and although his life was short, he will never be forgotten.

Coyote lived at school; however, a problem arose when Thanksgiving break arrived. The other class fish, Chris and Terrio, went home with Ellie Jones, and Ms. Toth offered to take care of Coyote over the break. Ms. Toth had to travel to Johnson City, TN to visit her parents for Thanksgiving. Everything went well during the break, except for the ride back to Knoxville. This is where things took a turn for the worse. Coyote was innocently swimming in his cup while Ms. Toth’s dog, Daisy May, was sleeping nearby in the back seat. Somewhere along the trip, Daisy May kicked Coyote’s cup and flipped it over, draining it of all its water. Coyote suffered a slow and painful death, but was brave through it all. He died an honorable fish, and his memory will be with us forever.  The sudden and tragic death of Coyote breaks our hearts, but we know Coyote is swimming happily across the Rainbow Bridge and joining his fellow flushed fish.