Filed under Sports

US Men’s National Team Disqualified From World Cup

The World Cup is coming once again in June 2018. However the United States will not be partaking in this massive event because the Men’s National Team did not win enough games in their region to qualify.

The United States played against six other nations in the fifth and final round of qualifying matches called the hexagonal. The USMNT(United States Men’s National Team) won three games and lost four, as well as drawing three.

The last time the USMNT did not qualify for the World Cup was 1986. There were 27 possible combinations of wins, losses, and draws for the USMNT. Only one of these 27 combinations would have resulted in disqualification from the World Cup. After the last game the USMNT played, which was a loss to Trinidad and Tobago, their fate would be decided by other team’s games.

Panama and Honduras won their games against Costa Rica and Mexico. This left the USMNT in last place, where they would not even be able to play against Australia as a consolation match to have a second chance at qualifying.

Many American soccer fans are worried that this loss of the World Cup may slow the recently growing admiration for soccer in the US. The World Cup only happens every four years and is the largest event the USMNT can qualify for. Luckily, the USMNT was invited to the Copa America, the regional tournament for North and South America, and they did very well. The US Women’s team has also made great strides as they are the current champions of the Women’s World Cup.

Throughout the course of the World Cup qualifying games, as losses grew, the previous coach, Jürgen Klinsmann, was replaced by Bruce Arena. Arena had been the coach of the USMNT from 1998-2006. Under his coaching, the USMNT had reached the farthest they ever had in the World Cup since 1930. In their first appearance in 1930, the USMNT placed third in the tournament; however this was before Europe had joined the World Cup. In 2002 they made it all the way to the quarter finals. However Arena has resigned as coach after not qualifying this year.

Most US soccer fans now either choose a new team to follow this year and take their chances next year, or they simply withdraw from the World Cup entirely and will return in 2022 to hopefully see the US reclaim their prestige.