Filed under Entertainment

Inexpensive Fall Activities

Fall is officially here and that means fall break is right around the corner. Though most students are fleeing Farragut, there are some who will stay back due to prior commitments or simply because they cannot afford to travel. I have some good news for you! I have made a list of inexpensive and fun activities to keep you busy during fall break. Whether you fancy indoor or outdoor activities, there is something for you!

If you enjoy challenging yourself physically, hiking the trails at Concord Park is a nice activity you can enjoy for free! The park is open everyday from 8am to 9pm. The leaves are changing colors, so it will be a beautiful hike. There are three separate trails, one for beginners and two for intermediate hikers. It is definitely enough trail, 13.7 miles to be exact, so you do not have to worry about it being too short. You can bring a dog or mountain bike along to add more fun to the hike. The beginner trail starts at the Cove on the Greenway and then travels to Concord Park; this is also the way to get to the other intermediate trails. The trail is also paved and has minimal twists and turns, it’s a great trail for those who would like to take a younger sibling with them. The intermediate trails are more of a generic “hike” because you have to maneuver around tree roots, rocks, and mud.

If hiking is not your cup of tea but you still like to admire beautiful things, you can spend time at The Knoxville Museum of Art. The Museum showcases art made by acclaimed Tennessee artists. They are holding two events during fall break that would be great for students who want to express their artistic ability. The first event is a Drop-in Figure Drawing workshop on October 9 from 10:30 am to 12:30 pm and the cost is $6 per person. The second event is Dine and Discover where the theme will be “American Impressionism: The Lure of the Artists’ Colony.” This event take place on October 11 from 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm and it is free. Aside from those two events, the Museum is free entry and open to the public Tuesday to Saturday from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm and Sunday from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm.  

If you like the typical corn maze, Autumn Acres could be your perfect fall break match. Although it is not in Farragut, Autumn Acres is still close to home, located in Crossville. This place is filled with several activities that appeal to young kids and adults. Autumn Acres has a corn maze that you can navigate with interest based questions. It has an “Ag-venture” playground with large slides, tire swings, and a petting zoo. There is also a wagon ride that leads to a pumpkin patch where everyone can pick their own pumpkin. When the night comes to a close, you can sign up to have a bonfire where you can roast hotdogs and marshmallows. Autumn Acres is open Tuesday through Thursday from 9:00 am to 1:30 pm by appointment only, Friday from 2:00 pm to 10:00 pm, Saturday from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm, and Sunday from 1:00 pm to 6:00 pm. Admission for children 2 and under is free and 3 and up is $10 per person.

If none of the above sound appealing to you, maybe Putt-Putt Golf & Games will fit the bill. They have events going on all week throughout fall break that are perfect for family and friends. Monday is Family Day, where a group can receive four games of putt-putt, 40 game tokens, and four drinks for $30 (extra players are $7.50 each). Tuesday is 12 Buck Tuesday where you can receive two games of putt-putt, a choice of 40 game room tokens or six batting cage tokens for $12 per person. Wednesday is their Wacky Wednesday, you can receive one game of putt-putt, a small drink, and a choice 20 game room tokens or three batting cage tokens for $10 per person. Thursday is Double Token Day where you receive 40 game tokens for $5. Friday you can receive a free prize with the purchase of a regular priced game of putt-putt. Saturday is Super Saturday which has unlimited putt-putt, and small drink, a hotdog, and a choice of 40 game room tokens or six batting cage tokens for $12 per person. They are open Monday through Thursday from 3:00 pm to 9:00 pm, Friday from 3:00 pm to 10:00 pm, Saturday from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm, and Sunday from 12:00 pm to 9:00 pm.

There are plenty of things to do close to home that are also inexpensive this fall break if you decide to stay in town. Whether it be fun with family or friends, there is no need to fret over things to do. Have a great fall break Farragut!