Filed under Features

Pet Advice from Coyote and Ellie

If you have a pet or are thinking about getting a pet, it is important to have all the information you need to give them a long and happy life. There are four key steps to keeping your pet happy: (1) Schedule routine check-ups (2) Buy proper food with high quality ingredients (3) Provide a proper environment (cage, tank, heat lamp, etc.) (4) Exercise, play, and/or interact with your pet often. Always research and be prepared before going and purchasing or adopting a new pet. Get everything you need and set it all up before bringing your pet home.

Whether you have or plan on having a pet, be sure to find a veterinarian in your area that is trained for your pet. Most veterinarians only provide services to owners of dogs and cats, so if you have an exotic animal, such as a bird or reptile, you will have to find an exotic vet. Regular check-ups are necessary for your pet’s health, just as it is with your own. In case your pet has a medical emergency, it is always best to have a veterinarian lined up so the animal can be treated as soon as possible.

Offering your pet a varied, yet proper diet is critical to their overall health. Different animals require different nutrients from a wide range of sources. Just like people read the ingredients labels on food, be sure to do this with your pet’s food. Some pet food manufacturers put chemicals and low quality ingredients, that aren’t specific to the animal’s diet, into the food to make more for less. Make sure you research and gain an understanding of what should and shouldn’t be included in your pet’s diet. It’s also crucial to understand how much food your pet should receive based on their size and weight. Feeding your pet too much or too little can eventually lead to serious and potentially life threatening health problems. Having the appropriate knowledge about your pet’s diet is one of the most essential steps to ensuring your pet has a happy and healthy life.

Before bringing a pet home, it’s best to prepare your home in order to cater to the habitat needs of your pet. For example, if you plan on getting a puppy, make sure to put anything you don’t want the puppy to chew on/ingest out of reach. Or if you’re getting a snake, be sure to have the right size tank, bedding (shredded aspen), heat lamp, and a place for it to hide. These are just a few examples of how to prepare for bringing a new pet home. Pets need down time, away from the owner, so it’s important to give them their own “special” space to hide/relax. This could include anything from a cozy cage for a dog, a hut for a small mammal, or a small cave for a reptile. Maintaining a safe, stable environment for your pet will keep them flourishing for years to come.

It is just as critical to regularly interact and exercise with your pet as it is to provide a proper diet and living space. Socializing your pet will help keep their mental health in check. Neglecting to interact with your pet is what leads to an animal becoming scared of or mean to humans. Sadly, this is something that happens far too often because people decide to get a pet before realizing how much time and care the animal requires. Providing plenty of toys for your pet will keep boredom distant while you’re away. Keeping an animal locked up and isolated from any outside contact (a.k.a. neglecting them) will greatly deteriorate its mental health, just as this would to a human. Regular exercise combined with a proper diet helps maintain a healthy weight for your pet. Keep in mind that we are all animals, so treat them how you would want to be treated if you were in their position.