Filed under Sports

How Hurricane Harvey and Irma Affected the Sports World

Many sports games were postponed or moved locations due to Hurricane Harvey and Irma. Stadiums in Florida like the Miami Dolphins have been badly damaged or flooded from the hurricanes. The Dolphins week one game against Tampa Bay Buccaneers has been rescheduled to week 11. The University of Miami’s first game of the season was also cancelled due to Hurricane Irma. Many practices were moved because the teams’ practice facilities were being used for shelter in the hurricane relief effort. J.J. Watt, a Houston Texans player, has raised over 37 million for the communities that were affected by the hurricanes.

Major League Baseball has also been forced to move or postpone games due to the hurricanes. The series between the Houston Astros and the Texas Rangers was moved to Tropicana Field in Florida because of Hurricane Harvey. After the series with the Rangers, the Astros were supposed to play the Mets in Houston, but due to bad flooding, they decided to stay at Tropicana Field to play the Mets. Weeks later during Hurricane Irma, the Tampa Bay Rays were forced to move their game to Citi Field in New York because their field was unusable. Although the hurricanes were very damaging, it made people come together to overcome it, even in the sports world.