Filed under Sports

The Admirals’ Road to State

Farragut High School football had its best season in school history in 2016. After winning their first state title, they look to repeat the miraculous season. The Admirals return 14 starters this year, with seven defensive players and seven offensive. This will be the 22nd season in a row that head coach Eddie Courtney has led the team.

The Admirals kicked off their 2017 season with a big out-of-town win against the Bradley Central Bears in Cleveland, TN. Starting out with a quick and dominant 14 point lead in the first quarter, the Admirals looked promising, but Bradley Central soon gained momentum and tied the game at 14 in the third quarter. Both teams scored again to tie the game at 21 into the end of regulation. In overtime, the Bears would get the chance to score first, but penalties and Farragut’s imperious d-line and backfield shot them down, leaving them scoreless and giving the ball to Farragut. The Admirals went on to win the game 27-21 with a touchdown pass from Jake Evans to Jacob Warren. Farragut was happy to get their first win, and were eagerly looking ahead to their next game.

Farragut traveled to Athens on August 25th to play the McMinn County Cherokees. The Admirals started quick, with a McMinn fumble that was picked up and taken 43 yards to the endzone by Isaiah Gibbs. Another fumble, this time by the Admirals, set up the Cherokees on the Farragut 12-yard line. McMinn was able to run it into the endzone shortly after, but Wyatt Lucas blocked the extra point attempt, allowing Farragut to keep the lead at 7-6 in the first quarter. A bullet pass from Gavin Wilkinson to Jacob Warren of the Admirals resulted in a 75 yard touchdown to put Farragut up 14-6 at halftime. The Admirals’ defense forced McMinn to punt in the 3rd quarter, which they soon capitalized on by scoring another touchdown, extending the lead 21-6 for Farragut. Both teams went back in forth, both scoring, to make the score 27-14 with just over 11 minutes to play in the 4th quarter. The Admirals then stopped the Cherokees again on a 4th and 5 attempt, and then scored with a Kyle Carter 55 yard run. The Farragut Admirals won the game 34-14 to make them 2-0 on the season.

Farragut’s home opener will be on August 31st against Morristown-West. Morristown-West opened up their season with a 42-20 win over Morristown-East, but lost to Greenville in their second game. This matchup will be the first meeting for these two schools. Morristown-West will play with a Multiple 1 offense and a 3-4 style defense. Farragut is currently ranked #16 in the state and Morristown-West is ranked #51. This game will be a rare occasion as it will be on a Thursday night, because it will be shown on myVLT’s “Rivalry Thursday”.This game will also be “Toga Night” for Farragut’s Senior class.