Filed under Features, Showcase

How to Graduate Prepared

Farragut High School Campus

Farragut High School Campus

Veronica Ward

Veronica Ward

Farragut High School Campus

High school is a fleeting moment for many students. In a few short years, you will be separated from the people who you’ve grown up with, and move towards a future you’ve been planning eighteen years for. For many students, the transition from adolescent into adult seems abrupt, but if you’re armed with a few of the below listed items, it might be easier to feel prepared when you graduate.

Driver’s License

In America, driving has not only become a rite of passage, but a necessity. While walking and bumming rides off your friends may be fun now, there comes a point when you’ll need to learn how to operate a vehicle on your own.

The driving tests are a complicated series of hoops that the DMV likes to force teenagers to jump through. At age fifteen, you’ll be eligible to take the written test for your learners permit. With a permit, you’ll be able to drive under the supervision of an adult to get the hang of driving. When you turn sixteen, after six months with your permit and fifty hours of driving experience, you can take the driving test for your restricted licence, which will basically get you to and from school in the least. By the time you’re eighteen, you’ll be able to drive whenever and wherever you would like to with the unrestricted licence.

While the process may be lengthy, you’ll be much better off with the ability to drive than without it. Even if you lack a car, your licence won’t expire for ten years and you aren’t required to retake the written or driving tests as long as you maintain a clean record. It’s easier to learn the ins and outs of driving when you’re younger, so start learning now!

Debit Card

The days of buying food and clothes with wads of crumpled cash are over! It might be time to change that with a debit card. Having a small piece of plastic in your pocket makes a world of difference. No more fumbling with fives and onesnow you can make precise payments in half the time.

Debit cards are easy enough to obtain. Most if not all banks will offer them for free when you open a checking account. The account can be tied to your savings account for easy access, and you can check on it with your bank’s online banking app. Just meet with your banker and bring the documents you would take to any other important transaction–a form of ID, your parent’s ID, (assuming the account is branching off of theirs’) and social security card. (if you have one)

It’s hard to see the difference a debit card can make until you own one. You’ll never hold up lines in the store again, you’ll be able to make online purchases on your own, and, when you’re working, your boss will be able to instantly transfer your wage into your account.

While you’re looking, Southeast Bank is offering special deals to students in the area. Consider contacting them for your debit card needs.

Career Experience

Employers across the country have begun putting more pressure on graduates to have prior work experience before entering their place of business. This may seem confusing or maybe unfair, but a few years of part time work over the summer or during the school day can make all the difference to your future employer. The task of working during school may seem unimaginable, but Farragut’s surplus of teenagers has made it a hugely tapped resource for local businesses.

While larger towns with more diverse age group may be reluctant to hire teenagers, most places in Farragut will hire whoever walks through the door for part time work. With a little persistence and a winning smile in the interview, you can start your job as soon as next weekend!

Larger franchises will probably have applications online for nearby stores. If not, you can always ask an employee in the store for an application. If you have friends that work, ask about getting a recommendation to work with them.

Volunteer Hours

Volunteer hours are important to colleges just as work experience is important to employers. Fortunately, there are plenty of clubs around Farragut that provide volunteer hours (Key Club, National Honors Art Society, Environmental Club, FANS Mentor Program, etc.) and the announcements frequently point out local events that need volunteers. If all else fails, the public library might have flyers for something you’re more suited for on their bulletin board.

A Few Teacher Friends

Teachers are an incredible resource to students. They can write recommendations, help with applications, and help find ways for students to become active in the community.

Letters of recommendation are important to any student who wants to go to college, gain scholarships, or even just have a nice reference on their job application. Some teachers around Farragut limit the number of recommendation letters they’ll write, so find your favorite teacher early! Even if you were his favorite student, the teacher of your choice won’t go out of his way to help you with this letter.

College can be confusing, and all of the forms that go along with applying don’t help to ease the stress. If you run into a blank that you can’t fill in, try asking a few teachers before going to guidance. Farragut teachers will be able to help with a lot of the ins-and-outs of applications and scholarships since they’ve been through the process before..

Teachers can help students with a lot of issues, from figuring out what they’d like to do with their schedule to helping them find a good book to read. So before you burn bridges for summer break, remember who will be helping you to transition into adulthood over the next few years.