Filed under Features

Text-A-Tip: When Classes Turn Criminal

“Text-A-Tip” has been involved with Knox County Schools since the 2014 school year. The system is monitored off campus, where important tips are forwarded to the schools to avoid useless information. “Anybody can use the tip line,” principal Ryan Siebe says. “It was designed for students and parents.”

The hotline is anonymous and convenient for students who want to report hallway gossip without filing paperwork in the office. Students can report illegal substances, cheating, bullying, and other offenses. No evidence is needed to send in a tip for on-campus behavior. There’s also no “expiration date” on tips made. While reporting early would be more likely to yield results, students can make tips any time after an incident could have occurred.

The only visible flaw to the system would be the lack of knowledge of it. Students can reach the tip line by sending a text to 274637, typing “knoxschools” and following it with their tip. “I believe [the tip line] is underutilized,” Siebe says.

To make a quality tip, students should try to be specific. Students should list places of activity, names, times, dates, and anything else about the event that they can recall. 

What happens when someone texts a tip? If it’s enough to warrant investigation, students should get a text back asking for additional information or reminding the tipster to stay safe and text “stop” if they could be in any danger. While reporting a possible crime could cause stress, it’s necessary to keep our schools safe and clean.